This building was built to be Birkenau SS Headquarters designed to oversee the coming EXPANSION of the killing operations; construction was interrupted in 1944. In 1982 it was turned over to the Catholic Church for use as a retreat center.

The current inscription outside the structure reads: "Thus this building which was to serve those who tortured and killed, those who scorned and hated, those who trampled crucifixes and burned holy books of both Christians and Jews, now serves those who pray and learn to imitate Him who was lost on the cross out of love........you are urged to recall the Jewish nation which was condemned to extermination...."

"There can be no true healing until Christians understand that every Jew sent to the gas chamber was another Christ hung on a cross..." -Reza Leah Landman


            (text)                                                                               (pictures)